Monday, June 13, 2011

Best Haircut Ever

I have had some fantastic haircuts in the past. Those fantastic haircuts have come form one of my favorite people on earth, Karen Cox. She is like the big sister I never had. She kept me looking good all through high school and well into college. 
Alas, I do not have my beloved Karen in Charlotte. So I flit from salon to salon. Stylist to stylist.
I have had some good cuts. And some bad.

And then I met Mehti.
I was randomly assigned to him when I called in for an appointment. The Modern Salon is walking distance from my apartment, which is why I chose that particular salon.

Mehti is a middle aged man with a full head of white curly hair. He has week old scruff that is a mix of white and black. It is clear he was a looker in his day and has a smile that would make a girl blush. He has a little bit of a Sean Connery feel to him, but with more hair. And who doesn't love Sean Connery?

One of the reasons I loved for Karen to cut my hair (besides her skill and style) was the conversation. I knew her. So I didn't have to fill her in with my life and nonsense that she wouldn't remember and that I didn't particularly want to share. You know the type of meaningless chit chat that happens in salons.

Mehti has a strong accent. So naturally I asked where he was from. He was from Kosovo. My curiosity radar perks up. I ask when he came to the states? He came in 2003. I ask where he was during the war in 1998?

For the next half hour Mehti tells me of his experiences. He tells me of his salon that he owned in Kosovo. He tells me how his family was given five minutes to flee the country. He tells me of the frightening drive into Macedonia. He tells me that in a moment like that you really learn what is most important. He tells me that he didn't think of grabbing jewels or priceless objects. He tells me that his only concern was his family. He tells me of crossing the border into safety and feeling his adrenaline wear off. He tells me of the overwhelming emotion that takes over his body in a moment like that. He tells me of the tears he cried.

Then his charming smile returns as he tells me of his children. They are both college graduates. They are both married. They are safe. They are happy. I can see in his eyes that Mehti is happy. His love for his children and family are strong and clear. He knows what is most important and clings to them for life.

He has since been back to see his former home in Kosovo burned to the ground and his salon completly gutted. Nothing left. He doesn't seem to be effected by it. He is happy. I could have listened to him for hours. And if you know me, and most of you do, I am completely facsinated with stories like this. He lived through history that will never be forgotten.

He also did a geat job cutting my hair.
(At least I think so. If you hate my haircut.... lie to me and tell me I have never looked better.)

Mehti also gave me the most amazing shampoo/ head massage in the history of shampoo/ head massages.

3 comments:

  1. It's super cute :) And what an amazing hair cut experience. That may sound weird, but we women spend a lot of time in that chair and if there isn't pleasant conversation then it feels twice as long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an amazing experience! You probably didn't know that I stock your block on occasion! :) Sounds like you are having fun out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. blah blah blah... think Karen will cut my hair? :)

    ReplyDelete